Re: [Hampshire] Booting from a Compact Flash card

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Booting from a Compact Flash card - RESOLVED
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Booting from a Compact Flash card
Brian Chivers wrote:
> I've got KioskCD setup on a CD as I'd like it and what I'd like to do
> is copy / move this to a Compact Flash card running off a CF to IDE
> convertor and boot from this.
>
> I've had a read and there seems to be loads out there but all seem to
> be slightly different and some even conflicting :-( The issue seems to
> be how to "prep" the drive to get it to boot. I have the CD image as
> an ISO so what I need to do is mount it and copy it to the drive, this
> I think I can do.
>
> Has anyone on the list done this sort of thing and if so would like to
> share how to do it.

Hi Brian.

Actually if it's going to work it's quite simple. You have some options
- some manufacturers make a CF card interface look like an IDE drive to
the mobo. Others provide a CF socket but not the ability to boot from
it, which is mostly useless.

I recommend an FDM module though - it's CF memory on an IDE plug. See:
http://linitx.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=fdm&search_in_description=1&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

for examples up to 8Mb - I'm using them and they work fine, but don't
forget that despite no moving parts they do have limited write
lifespans, so you probably want to turn off atime modding when mounting
the drive.

If you do want to use an adapter, probably because you have some CF
cards lying about, try http://linitx.com/index.php?cPath=39 for samples.
I'm pointing you at this site because they have a decent range of such
devices, no other reason.

Most of these will work, the selection is mostly dependent on the
physical requirements of your case.

Do note though that CF drives used in this manner are *not* hot
swappable as they are acting as IDE drives.

Jack

--
---
Jack Knight