Re: [Hampshire] Adding hd to system

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Adding hd to system
On Thursday 21 December 2006 23:13, Nick Chalk wrote:
> Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

<snip>

> > c) to add the file system I use the command
> > "mke2fs /dev/sda" (its is not going to be
> > accessed by a windows box)
>
> I doubt you want to run mke2fs on the whole disk,
> especially after you've partitioned it.

Its only a small disk so I will use the whole disk with one partition

> You'll need to run mke2fs on each partition that
> you created in step b. So it'll be...
>    mke2fs /dev/sda1
>    mke2fs /dev/sda2
>    etc.

> Note that mke2fs will format to Ext2FS by default.
> Use the -j option to add a journal, creating an
> Ext3FS partition. There's lots of options to
> mke2fs which you might like to look through. I
> tend to include -b, -i, -m, -O, -c, and -v to see
> what it's doing. But then I like to tinker.

I found the -j switch after I had posted as I want to use ext3fs

Do you know when your next sale\open house will be at Jamies, I think I might
add some larger scsi disk to my server (assumming I have any funds left after
xmas)?

Tim

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html