Re: [Hampshire] Adding hd to system

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Adding hd to system
Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:
> a) If I add the disk as sda* will it affect the
> boot sequence (I don't think it will)

It's worth checking the configuration of your
boot-loader. You may find that's installed in
sda's MBR anyway.

> b) to partiton the disk I use the command
> "cfdisk /dev/sda"

That'll start the curses-based partitioner on
/dev/sda, yes. I'd give some thought to how you
want to partition it first, though.

Check, and double-check, that you've typed sda and
not sdb before proceeding.

> c) to add the file system I use the command
> "mke2fs /dev/sda" (its is not going to be
> accessed by a windows box)

I doubt you want to run mke2fs on the whole disk,
especially after you've partitioned it.

You'll need to run mke2fs on each partition that
you created in step b. So it'll be...
mke2fs /dev/sda1
mke2fs /dev/sda2
etc.

Note that mke2fs will format to Ext2FS by default.
Use the -j option to add a journal, creating an
Ext3FS partition. There's lots of options to
mke2fs which you might like to look through. I
tend to include -b, -i, -m, -O, -c, and -v to see
what it's doing. But then I like to tinker.

If you want something other than Ext2 or Ext3,
you'll need a totally different format command.
:-)

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.