[Hampshire] Adding hd to system

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Adding hd to system

My server currently has a 3 disk scsi raid on sdb and a single scsi disk seen
on the system but not used on sda (the details are listed in dmesg but there
is nothing fstab). I want to add the single disk to the system but want to
make sure that I don't lose my raid by some improper command issuing on my
part.

The question I have are:

a) If I add the disk as sda* will it affect the boot sequence (I don't think
it will)

b) to partiton the disk I use the command "cfdisk /dev/sda"

c) to add the file system I use the command "mke2fs /dev/sda" (its is not
going to be accessed by a windows box)

The next problem is I don't know where to mount it, its going to be used for
backing up my home directory on my main debian box, any suggestion??

Tim