Re: [Hampshire] removing the evil U3 USB malware

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] removing the evil U3 USB malware
Jim Kissel wrote:

> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> On 26/12/06, Jim Kissel <jlk@???> wrote:
>>> U3 may not be evil and it may not be malware but I don't want it on my
>>> USB drive. It would appear that you can only remove it by running an
>>> uninstall program under MS Windows 2000 or MS Windows XP.
>>>
>>> Any other solution would be appreciated.
>>>

>> Just use linux to wipe the device.
>> With fdisk or something like that.
>
> Been there. Done that. It doesn't work. Tried fdisk/sfdisk/cfdisk/parted
>
> Any other suggestions?

Can't be sure as I don't have an evil U3 device, but try:
http://www.geocities.jp/tedi_world/format_usbfdd_e.html

My understanding is that the U3 devices have the cd read only partition
set in firmware, not sure if the above has the ability to access or
descend below this. Probably most likely solution is to try running the
erase utility under WinXP/VMWare.