Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom…

Author: Cayenne-uk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom DVB USB stick
Thanks Sean. That pointed me in the right direction. dmesg was showing that
it couldn't find the firmware - but it was looking for an old version. I
tried renaming the newly downloaded version to the version being sought, but
although dmesg now said that the firmware was loaded okay, the stick was
still not starting.

The version I had renamed was a later version that I downloaded while trying
to fix this problem, so I renamed the older version to the version being
sought, and this was more successful. The stick is now starting up properly
again now.

I am still puzzled by a few things- Why it broke in the first place. And how
the firmware name is determined (how - the newer firmware can be loaded
without renaming/copying the file to the old version name.)

Kelvin