Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom DVB USBstick
Cayenne-uk wrote:

> On 24/12/06, *Sean Gibbins* <sean@???
> <mailto:sean@funkygibbins.me.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Cayenne-uk wrote:

>      > Oh &*^%$%^ !  This USB stick has been behaving itself perfectly
>     for the
>      > last month, and now it has reverted to not starting when Linux
>     does! The
>      > firmware is still in /lib/firmware/, and I have even downloaded a
>     later
>      > version of it.
>      >
>      > Any ideas why it is refusing to play?

>     Kernel update?

>     Sean

> Not as far as I know... Unless it has anything to do with downloading a
> new driver for the Intel ipw2200. This required a 'make install'. I
> don't know if this would have affected the kernel! The trouble is that
> in my attempts to learn Linux, I have installed and re-installed a
> number of packages, and have been fiddling a lot with the system. Mostly
> innocuous stuff unlikely to do damage and also a lot of fumbling about
> in the dark. Hence it is difficult to tell what could have upset the
> status quo.

I thought you might have compiled an application against a particular
kernel, and a subsequent 'aptitude upgrade' (or similar) had installed a
later kernel which broke your app; this latter part would be largely
transparent to you and might give the impression that your app had
broken without any apparent reason.

> Anyway, it would be nice to have it working again, so any help would be
> gratefully received.

Have you had a look at the output of dmesg after you have unplugged it
and plugged it back in?

Sean