Re: [Hampshire] removing the evil U3 USB malware

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] removing the evil U3 USB malware

Jacqui Caren wrote:
> Jim Kissel wrote:
>> Been there. Done that. It doesn't work. Tried fdisk/sfdisk/cfdisk/parted
>> Any other suggestions?
>
> Wine?
>
> Lazy solution: You could pop round and use XP or I could bring the
> XP laptop around to you. I would want to backup the laptop first though :-)

After a 1 1/2 days of googling for a Linux solution, I've admitted
defeat, downloaded U3_INSTALL.EXE, re-booted the laptop in XP (yuck!),
ftp'ed it over, and de-installed U3. I still needed fdisk and mkfs to
"restore" the USB drive to "normal" functionality.

I hereby apologise to the entire Linux community for this breach of
trust, and also swear never to purchase another U3 enabled device, until
I am able to ZORCH THE BASTARD WITH A LINUX SYSTEM!