Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 hantslug@??? wrote:

> Thanks, Hugo - that is what I thought, but I hoped that I was wrong!

There really isn't much option if you insist on using a USB modem.

If you are using a Windows machine you can still use it as a router via
"Internet Connection Sharing", I used ICS for a few months when I first
got my cable connection and it works ok for simple tasks but like anything
Windows can be a bit flaky under load and the machine acting as a router
will require regular rebooting.

But I have to ask, is there a reason to stick with the USB modem? ADSL
modem routers (of the basic non-wireless variety) can be had for around
the 20 quid mark, even if a network device did exist which you could plug
the USB modem into it would probably cost at least that much.

Andy