Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network
On Friday 29 Dec 2006 01:05, Andy Random wrote:
> But I have to ask, is there a reason to stick with the USB modem?

Yes - it is a temporary solution and I have been given a budget of £20 to
include P&P. The chap concerned is 120 miles away, so I can't just pop round
and set up an old box as a router.

> ADSL
> modem routers (of the basic non-wireless variety) can be had for around
> the 20 quid mark,

If that is true, then that could be the solution. I have not found anything
under twice that amount. Of course, second hand could be a solution to that
and I was already intending to explore that possibility. But the solution
would have to be possible with AOL.

> even if a network device did exist which you could plug
> the USB modem into it would probably cost at least that much.

There may anyhow not be a solution to this problem that I could help him with
because he is with AOL. But his present set-up a) isn't working and b) is a
shambles. And he said that he followed AOL's advice. His wife's computer is
attached to the _telephone_ outlet in the splitter, along with his fax
machine. He is attached to the ADSL outlet via a USB modem. And surprise.
surprise she is not getting broadband.

He is changing to Sky broadband in two or three months' time and Sky supplies
a Netgear DG834xx for free.

I am tempted to advise him to hibernate for the next 3 months and solve it
that way. :-( I shall explore less direct methods of solving the problem.

Lisi