Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network
On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 07:43 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Friday 29 Dec 2006 01:05, Andy Random wrote:
> > But I have to ask, is there a reason to stick with the USB modem?
>
> Yes - it is a temporary solution and I have been given a budget of £20 to
> include P&P. The chap concerned is 120 miles away, so I can't just pop round
> and set up an old box as a router.

Out of interest, 120 miles in which direction? Maybe someone else here can help?

> > ADSL
> > modem routers (of the basic non-wireless variety) can be had for around
> > the 20 quid mark,
>
> If that is true, then that could be the solution. I have not found anything
> under twice that amount.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/42664 24.21 inc VAT
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90977 14.99 inc VAT

*however*

AOL will only "support" a certain set of products. I had a right time
getting a well known make of ADSL router working with AOL, it just flat
wouldn't work. I called AOL on their paid support line and they
basically said "nope, that won't work with us, you need one of the
supported one, but I am not going to tell you what they are because you
are a home user and thus should only have a single user USB modem".

I just did some googling and found out which one would work (netgear one
FYI) and it

> There may anyhow not be a solution to this problem that I could help him with
> because he is with AOL. But his present set-up a) isn't working and b) is a
> shambles. And he said that he followed AOL's advice.

Haha. Which is worth how much? :(

> He is changing to Sky broadband in two or three months' time and Sky supplies
> a Netgear DG834xx for free.

Hahah, I'd stay with AOL!

Also note the netgear device they supply is well locked down, so don't
necessarily expect it to be able to do everything a standard device of
that model name can.

> I am tempted to advise him to hibernate for the next 3 months and solve it
> that way. :-( I shall explore less direct methods of solving the problem.

Well, the other option is to move the current USB ADSL modem to her
computer to keep her happy?

He does realise that when he gets Sky broadband he is going to need a
network card in both machines doesn't he? In which case if they already
have them he *could* string an ethernet cable between them and share the
DSL connection from one to the other right now. If he *doesn't* have
ethernet cards on the PCs (onboard or otherwise) then he will come an
equal cropper when Sky broadband is installed.

Cheers,
Al.