Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network

Author: John Morton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network
Lisi,
My two pennyworth.
I'm always better [OT] as know too little about Linux to help anyone.
And I could flood this place with questions.
Like why has Samba put its config file in /usr/samba,
Can it find it there? Seemingly not.
Is it because I reinstalled using Sudo on Ubuntu

And on and on . .

Graham Bleach wrote:
> On 29/12/06, hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> wrote:
>> He is changing to Sky broadband in two or three months' time and Sky
>> supplies
>> a Netgear DG834xx for free.
>
>> From AOL to Sky? I shall look forward to the next installment of this
>> thread :)

No I would not change from AOL to Sky either.
Not that I would choose AOL in the first place
but so many have because of the marketing/promotion/CDs.

Recently at a friends I complained about their USB modem as a ruse as it
happened. They promptly told me they had an offer on, transferred me to
customer service who offered to move this existing AOL customer to their
Silver service which allowed them to treat as a new customer who are
entitled to a Netgear Wireless adsl router free. Theoretically she
should have been downgraded to 1mbs but it hasn't happened.

The downside is you probably have to do this from the customer's phone
But if you have all the info you could try.
Phone after 7.30pm and you get the Irish call centre, which I have found
to be better at helping solve connection/service problems, instead of
India although I did it via India.

By the way the Negear is not locked down, the usual default access works
and you can get rid of AOL 9 off the computer which is an abomination.
And something called Quick Connect (I think) which is an intrusive piece
of spyware.

Hope this helps
Good luck

Happy New Year to everyone