Re: [Hampshire] linux for a powermac G3

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] linux for a powermac G3
Jacqui Caren wrote:
> A friends employer is junking thier "PC's" and he has rescued one.
> He asked that I have a look to see if it is any good.
>
> It is an unwiped G3 and I would really like to install linux on it.
>
> 1) to remove files and software
>
> 2) because linux is "better" :-)
>
> Not being a mac head I have no idea whis ppc distro will provide
> a clean and simple desktop for a "newbie" user with that horrible
> one button mac mouse :-)
>
> Jacqui

Hello Jacqui

I'm not a Mac expert, but I do know that there are a number of different
Macs that can all be described as 'G3', and their ability to run a given
version of Linux varies. For example, I tried to install Debian/PPC on
a Blue&White G3 and it just wouldn't -- wrong sort version of
OpenFirmware or something.

There's plenty of information out there on the net though -- once you
know the exact model of G3 machine that you've got.

And other mice with more than one button are available.

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???