Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Mixing PC sound output

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Mixing PC sound output
On 30/12/06, Rob Malpass <rob@???> wrote:

> Hi all - seasons greetings
>
> Here's the problem: I usually have several machines on at the same time and
> I'd like to hear their audio output (even if it's just a bong, or the you've
> got mail sound). I don't want to hook up speakers to each machine (one XP,
> one Ubuntu and one Mac) so at present I have them going into a hifi amp via
> 2 separate channels on a "8 channel" stereo mixer. Trouble is, the other 4
> channels on this supposedly 8 channel beast (it is very very old) aren't
> available at line level - only mic level so it would sound terrible if I
> jacked one of the PCs into effectively two mono channels.
>
> Are you with me so far?
>
> Are there any gadgets out there that could let me sort this? Maplin have
> some but they're the same configuration as my current i.e. 2 stereo and 4
> mono with each mono mic level only.
>
> Cheers - hoping this isn't complete jibberish.
>
> Rob
> --

If they all ran Linux or Mac OS X you could run netjack. This is a way
to pass sound from one machine to the other via IP over ethernet.
So, you could get all of the machines to pass sound to a single PC and
then that PC drive the speakers. The Windows machine would be a
problem, but who cares about windows?
I guess you could plug the output from the windows machine into the
line-in on another machine and use the mixer to forward that out
again.

James