[Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer T18…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer T180
Hello,

happy new year all,

Seems I am putting more questions than answers lately, but here goes...

I've installed Ububtu 6.10 on a new Acer T180 desktop box (Dual Core
AMD 64 bit). Ububtu, in either "live" or "installed" forms, fails to
see the on-board network of this system. ifconfig returns an entry for
'lo' only, no eth0.

Same goes for Knoppix 3.7 and 3.9, the only ones I have on CD.

The annoying thing is that the WIn XP that came on the box works fine.

However, I've just booted it from System Rescue [
http://www.systemrescuecd.org] and that detects the network fine, and
I can configure it and get to the 'net (as I am now).

I could put excerpts from log files etc. in this post but they are a
bit long and I don't really know what would be relevant.

I have looked over the Acer web site and Ububtu forums and also
googled for T180 and Linux, network, etc with surprisingly little
success. Any suggestions on what to look for, or further information
for diagnosis, will be very gratefully received...