Re: [Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: victor, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer T180

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57982100.hantslug.org.uk.2258': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jan 4 00:19:00 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:02:51AM +0000, Victor Churchill wrote:
> I've installed Ububtu 6.10 on a new Acer T180 desktop box (Dual Core
> AMD 64 bit). Ububtu, in either "live" or "installed" forms, fails to
> see the on-board network of this system. ifconfig returns an entry for
> 'lo' only, no eth0.

If it's failed to bring the network up (for whatever reason), it
won't show up in the output of ifconfig.

> However, I've just booted it from System Rescue [
> http://www.systemrescuecd.org] and that detects the network fine, and
> I can configure it and get to the 'net (as I am now).
>
> I could put excerpts from log files etc. in this post but they are a
> bit long and I don't really know what would be relevant.
>
> I have looked over the Acer web site and Ububtu forums and also
> googled for T180 and Linux, network, etc with surprisingly little
> success. Any suggestions on what to look for, or further information
> for diagnosis, will be very gratefully received...

Can you post the output of "lspci" and "lspci -n" here? That should
give enough information to work out which bits of log file we need to
see. Alternatively, if you can put the output of "dmesg" on a web site
somewhere, that would suffice (plus the lspci outputs).

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
    --- SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three ---
        terminations: One at each end of the chain. And the goat.