Re: [Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Victor Churchill
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer T180

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x580fc100.hantslug.org.uk.27677': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jan 4 22:30:43 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 10:13:46PM +0000, Victor Churchill wrote:
> On 04/01/07, Victor Churchill <victor@???> wrote:
> >On 04/01/07, Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> >>    Can you post the output of "lspci" and "lspci -n" here? That should
> >> give enough information to work out which bits of log file we need to
> >> see. Alternatively, if you can put the output of "dmesg" on a web site
> >> somewhere, that would suffice (plus the lspci outputs).

> dmesg on sysrescue cd which works:
> http://hantslug.pastebin.com/851315
>
> dmesg on ubuntu which does not work:
> http://hantslug.pastebin.com/851316
>
> lspci from sysrescue which works
>
> http://hantslug.pastebin.com/851319

Aha. It's a Marvell/SysKonnect one. These can be distinctly evil. I
forget which way round it was, but one of them is a register-for-
register copy of the other made by a cloner. The available drivers are
a bit of a mess. IIRC, there's three separate drivers for these
things.

> lspci from ubuntu which does not work
>
> http://hantslug.pastebin.com/851321

> The lspci -n output, I've just determined, is identical on the two systems.

It would be -- that output is direct from the hardware. The text
version of the info depends only on the database contained in the
lspci binary.

> It looks as if the dmesg listing from the working sysrescue system
> shows reference to a 'sky2' module for the ethernet controller.

Yup. This is the second version of the SysKonnect Yukon driver
(hence the name).

> lsmod on the working sysrecue system shows just four modules:
> sky2, sbp2, dm-mirror, ohci1394.
>
> lsmod on the non-working ubuntu shows loads of modules including
> ohci1394 and sbp2 but not dm-mirror or sky2.
>
> This all leads me to suspect that the sysrescue cd has a sky2 module
> present which is loaded at startup but the ubuntu does not - if so,
> can I do anything about it?

It's probably simply that the hardware's too new for the Ubuntu
kernel, and the driver isn't recognising it. Building a more recent
kernel would be the best solution. I don't know if there's a backport
of (say) a 2.6.19 kernel for Ubuntu out there -- Alan will probably
say.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
  --- Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, ---
                           and quick to anger.