[Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer T18…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Probs with Ubuntu not seeing network on Acer T180
On 04/01/07, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:

> The "sky2" module is the one you want. It is labeled as "EXPERIMENTAL"
> in the kernel source for kernel 2.6.16.
>
> It is present in ubuntu edgy here, with ubuntu kernel 2.6.17-10-generic.

Curious... I had been running 2.6.17-10-generic which was not
detecting the network. I first installed 6.06.1-LTS, then went up to
6.10 when the network detection didn't work, but now see that they
were both the same kernel.

Wonder if the difference could be because this is the amd64
version...? I have not gone into the kernel source tree: don't even
have it on this box (though with feisty I do seem to have been given a
/usr/src for header files, which I suppose is to be expected for a
development release).

Anyway, have now installed feisty 7.04 and so far it seems happy. So
no need to look for other hardware solutions. Thanks to all for the
suggestions.