Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: [Hampshire] Using Windows DVD on Linux [was Potential Libranet Replacement, was [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend ]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58036100.hantslug.org.uk.26842': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 5 16:11:39 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 15:43 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Libranet 3, but security updated with Sarge. (Yes, you can do that. All
> Sarge packages run fine on Libranet 3. There are now only Sarge repositories
> in his sources.list.)

I remember the thread well :)

That will likely mean that the packaged QEMU either doesn't exist or is
painfully old. You/we will probably need to compile from source (which
isn't actually that painful), and of course, if you choose/need to go
down that route.

What spec is the machine - CPU and memory wise?

Of course if it works under WINE (which will also be somewhat old on
Libranet 3) then we don't need QEMU.

> > Not necessarily XP, you could load something older and more lightweight
> > (if it's supported by the DVD) such as Win98 or Win2k.
>
> Yes , I wondered about that. But my copy of 98SE is just an update one. (I
> have DOS 6.2, Doze 3.11, 95 etc. But not, I think, that much patience. :-( )

Bring them along anyway. We can always do the install on another faster
machine then move the virtual disk image over :)

I still have a Windows 98 VM somewhere so we can test it out on that
before wasting time building a new VM for you.

> Thanks, Al. That is really kind, and much appreciated. It would be
> great. :-) All I need now is the DVD.

I am assuming his PC has a DVD drive? :)

Cheers,
Al.