Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend
On Friday 05 Jan 2007 14:55, Alan Pope wrote:
> > (!)  An integral part of the course is an interactive DVD.  I want, if at
> > all possible, to get this going under Linux.  I was anticipating spending
> > a few weeks trying on my own to run it under WINE or CrossoverOffice, and
> > then bringing my husband's box to the January LUG meeting.

[snip]
> We can but have a go. What is the host machine in question running at
> the moment?

Libranet 3, but security updated with Sarge. (Yes, you can do that. All
Sarge packages run fine on Libranet 3. There are now only Sarge repositories
in his sources.list.)

> > In addition to emulators there are of course VMs like Parallel etc.  But
> > that would still mean loading XP.  And is still likely to take me a
> > while.  I have so far never done that either,
>
> Not necessarily XP, you could load something older and more lightweight
> (if it's supported by the DVD) such as Win98 or Win2k.

Yes , I wondered about that. But my copy of 98SE is just an update one. (I
have DOS 6.2, Doze 3.11, 95 etc. But not, I think, that much patience. :-( )

> > So, if the DVD arrives in time, I shall want to bring the whole thing,
> > software, box etc., to the Guildford meeting.  I think I can safely
> > discount the possibility of my getting it going in a few hours. :-(
>
> I'll gladly give you a hand. I use WINE and QEMU quite a bit.

Thanks, Al. That is really kind, and much appreciated. It would be
great. :-) All I need now is the DVD.

Lisi