Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56a65100.hantslug.org.uk.30176': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 5 14:55:28 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 14:18 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Thanks, Al. I just wondered how much room there would be. They appear
> normally to have very small meetings. (They call 14 a good attendance. ;-) )

Well the used to meet at their LUG Masters house, so I guess there's a
physical limit there :)

Now the meeting is at RedHat I guess there is more space, but having
never been there I can't confirm this.

> As a result of my enquiries into OU computer courses, I have ended up studying
> for LPIC in preference,

Ooo, I'm studying for that too! :)

> and my husband has enrolled for an OU German Course.
> (!) An integral part of the course is an interactive DVD. I want, if at all
> possible, to get this going under Linux. I was anticipating spending a few
> weeks trying on my own to run it under WINE or CrossoverOffice, and then
> bringing my husband's box to the January LUG meeting. I have never so far
> run anything under a Doze emulator, and was not expecting to succeed on my
> first try. But I meant to have a good try myself before bothering anyone
> else. :-(

We can but have a go. What is the host machine in question running at
the moment?

> In addition to emulators there are of course VMs like Parallel etc. But that
> would still mean loading XP. And is still likely to take me a while. I have
> so far never done that either,

Not necessarily XP, you could load something older and more lightweight
(if it's supported by the DVD) such as Win98 or Win2k.

> So, if the DVD arrives in time, I shall want to bring the whole thing,
> software, box etc., to the Guildford meeting. I think I can safely discount
> the possibility of my getting it going in a few hours. :-(

I'll gladly give you a hand. I use WINE and QEMU quite a bit.

Cheers,
Al.