Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] _no_ meeting next weekend
On Friday 05 Jan 2007 12:48, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 11:52 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > Adrian - Will we (as visitors) be able (or rather, permitted - we would
> > clearly be able) to bring boxen, with problems that need solving, to the
> > meeting, in search of a solution??
>
> Given Surrey LUG call it a "Bring-A-Box" [0], I would suspect that is
> perfectly fine :)
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> [0] http://surrey.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BringABox

Thanks, Al. I just wondered how much room there would be. They appear
normally to have very small meetings. (They call 14 a good attendance. ;-) )

As a result of my enquiries into OU computer courses, I have ended up studying
for LPIC in preference, and my husband has enrolled for an OU German Course.
(!) An integral part of the course is an interactive DVD. I want, if at all
possible, to get this going under Linux. I was anticipating spending a few
weeks trying on my own to run it under WINE or CrossoverOffice, and then
bringing my husband's box to the January LUG meeting. I have never so far
run anything under a Doze emulator, and was not expecting to succeed on my
first try. But I meant to have a good try myself before bothering anyone
else. :-(

Unfortunately, that batch of DVDs has got held up. They are not now expected
to be in until next Wednesday, and the course starts on the 25th. And I am
very keen indeed to maintain the Doze free status of my husband's box (and
currently our house).

In addition to emulators there are of course VMs like Parallel etc. But that
would still mean loading XP. And is still likely to take me a while. I have
so far never done that either,

So, if the DVD arrives in time, I shall want to bring the whole thing,
software, box etc., to the Guildford meeting. I think I can safely discount
the possibility of my getting it going in a few hours. :-(

Lisi