Re: [Hampshire] How to remove firefox

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to remove firefox

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c43100.hantslug.org.uk.16612': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 12 17:46:21 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 17:23 +0000, Tim wrote:
> I have Firefox which updates as part of apt-get update\install etc. I but I
> want to move upto Firefox 2 direct from Firefox. I know an apt-get remove
> could do it but I would like leave my existing version in place and allow
> firefox 2 to see it let it take its setting from there or am I just better
> off removing it and starting again??

The application and its settings are generally separate. Installing
Firefox 2 should just find your settings in .mozilla or .firefox
or .phoenix or whatever the directory is (depends on when you first
installed the product I guess).

I don't think there is a concept of firefox 2 "seeing" firefox 1.5. If
you remove firefox the application settings will still be there in he
directory named above. If you're worried then backup those directories
before upgrading.

How were you going to go to firefox 2? Binary from Mozilla.com or via
apt-get?

Cheers,
Al.