Re: [Hampshire] Funny boot problem

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Funny boot problem
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:58:02 +0000
Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:

> john lewis wrote:
> > [snip]
> > But it still would not boot.
> > [snip]
>
> Did it give any error messages about the non-booting? How far did
> the BIOS get through the boot process? Or did it start any of the
> Linux stuff before failing?

Hi Chris

I can't remember the exact message but it asked for a bootable disc,
It didn't get as far as the grub menu until I started it off with the
'load from hard disk' option on the ubuntu CD.

I did check the bios and the first time it wasn't seeing the drive so
I opened up the case and made sure the cable was properly connected
and then it could see the drive.

That is strange in itself as I had used the drive to install etch on
it to replace ubuntu which had booted with no problems when I got
the box home.

(I'd used ubuntu all the first morning trying hard to like it but
gave up, I even installed wmaker to make me feel more at home)

Currently the box is performing well and providing I don't have
a system freeze again, caused I think by the spamassassin plugin in
sylpheed-claws, I won't need to reboot until the kernel is upgraded
to 2.6.19

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application