Re: [Hampshire] DVD Write Errors

Author: john eayrs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD Write Errors

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Webb" <david.webb@???>
To: <hampshire@???>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2007 3:22 PM
Subject: [Hampshire] DVD Write Errors

>I am now on my second DVD writer in a year which, like the previous one,

after
>producing more and more write errors has now always fails when writing to
>DVD. I was using some cheaper DVD-R disks so as a final test bought some
>good Phillips DVD+R disks (growisofs seems to be happier with DVD+R).

These
>fail in the same way so I need some advice.

1) Try and get hold of some old writable DVD's (12 months old) and see if it
would write to those. It is possible that the DVD writer cannot understand
what to do with a more modern writable DVD without a firmware upgrade.

2) Check if the the DVD writer is on master or slave setting
3) Check the cable connection are you plugged in top the slave or master
part of the cable
4) Try a DVD Linux setup disk which self checks the validity of the files
and check if the all the files verify
5) Try a knoppix disk and use K3b from there

You may have a DVD writer which has conveniently failed

John Eayrs