Re: [Hampshire] DVD Write Errors

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD Write Errors
On 14/01/07, David Webb <david.webb@???> wrote:
> I am now on my second DVD writer in a year which, like the previous one, after
> producing more and more write errors has now always fails when writing to
> DVD. I was using some cheaper DVD-R disks so as a final test bought some
> good Phillips DVD+R disks (growisofs seems to be happier with DVD+R). These
> fail in the same way so I need some advice.
>
> In the command that failed I tried to write a disk image (I'd given up writing
> directly from K3b which always failed. I also found found that writing
> slowly worked when -speed=8 failed):

There could be a number of things wrong:
1) Faulty DVD drive, you don't say which one you have.
2) You should be using libata and not the old IDE drivers. So, the DVD
drive should appear as /dev/sr0 and not /dev/hdc. All the bug fixes
are going into the libata drivers, and not the old IDE drivers. The
only reason for not using libata is that you have a very old
motherboard. If you have a motherboard with SATA interfaces, libata
can be used with the PATA DVD drives.