Re: [Hampshire] Any SIP gurus?

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Any SIP gurus?
>> Now all I need to do is to find out where all my audio's gone :-)
>
> Has the firewall eaten all the packets?

I suspect so. I haven't opened ports specifically - I was hoping to STUN
my way through. Looks like I haven't got that right yet...

> It's a fairly common problem.
> SIP and NAT do not play nicely together. Most SIP servers can fix it
> up, but might need the option turning on (nat=yes in asterisk)

Yep. But I'm running ser, and I haven't really worked out how to configure
it yet (as you can probably tell) :-)

> believe they just ignore where the packet _claims_ to be from and look
> at the where the packet actually came from.

AIUI, the client uses an external STUN server to determine the type of NAT
in use and the external IP address, and then uses that info to determine
the port/IP address that the other end will see, rather than where it
originated.

> One day I'll ask someone
> _why_ they decided to stick IP information in the data section.

They had to - SIP is not about simply linking two hosts together, it's
about linking two hosts by way of a third (proxy). The proxy helps set up
the connection - it doesn't participate in it. So the SDP bit needs to
tell each end where to find the other...

Vic.