Re: [Hampshire] Caveat: Ubuntu Edgy and nss-ldap

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Caveat: Ubuntu Edgy and nss-ldap
Nick Chalk wrote:
> Brian Chivers <brian@???>
> wrote:
>> Do you have a nice "HowTo" on how to setup a
>> Ubuntu box to authenticate etc again a OpenLDAP
>> box with home directories exported via NFS ??
>
> Documentation? We don't have none of that there
> 'ere.
>
> I can let you have the relevant config, it that's
> any help. There's not that much to set up on the
> client side, and I seem to remember that you
> already have an LDAP server.
>
> I think the nfs-common package was installed by
> default. libnss-ldap and libpam-ldap are in
> universe. I also install ldap-utils for fault-
> finding.
>
> Then it's a matter of modifying ldap.conf, libnss-
> ldap.conf, pam_ldap.conf, nsswitch.conf, and the
> pam.d/common-* files to get name service and
> authentication working. Add an NFS mount in fstab,
> and you're there.
>
> Nick.

If you could let me have the relevant files that would be brilliant.

We've got a load of other Fedora / CentOS box's running authenticating against our OpenLDAP server
but not Ubuntu, it's a shame it doesn't have a port of the authconfig tool like RH Clones & Suse
have as this makes it so easy :-)

I've got the NFS mount working OK so I know that bit's good

Thanks again
Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College