Re: [Hampshire] ADSL bridge

Author: Tom Sykes
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL bridge
David Ramsden wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:22:59PM +0000, Tom Sykes wrote:

[snip]
> How many is several companies?

There are actually only 2 NAT routers currently in the set-up.

> I assume that each NAT router has a public IP address on the external
> interface and a private IP address on the internal interface?

Exactly.

> If that's the case the "ADSL box" must have an external IP address on
> the interface connected to the NAT routers so they're on the same network
> segment?

Yupyup.

> A Linksys AG241-UK can have both of its interfaces on the same network
> segment. i.e. NewNet have given you 213.131.190.193 as your router's
> address. This gets assigned to your ADSL box automatically. You can give
> the same IP address and subnet mask to the internal interface of the
> Linksys. You can turn NAT off on the Linksys so it acts just as a router
> (otherwise you'll double NAT).
>
> This should do what you want, unless I haven't fully understood your
> requirements or setup.

Awesome. This helped a lot. I have in fact taken your advice, and
applied it to the router we were recommended (the voyager).

There is an option to turn NAT off, but it didn't occur to me (OK I
assumed it wouldn't work) that I could set the internal and external
interfaces to the same IP, so I gave it a go and it's working perfectly.

Thanks all,
Tom