[Hampshire] [OT] Hardware degradation

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware degradation
Hi all

To what extent is a PC as fast now as it was when first bought?

As we know, hard disks get fragmented over time. I'm honestly not sure how
much this affects Linux as much as Windows or any other OS, but the general
thinking is that if you defragment a slow Windows filesystem, performance
will improve. I've personally never seen it improve Windows that much -
but it does have some effect.

Periodially, it's also a good idea to do a clean reinstall of a Windows
partition. But my question is - suppose you replace your primary HDD with
a brand new one in a machine that's say 2 years old and otherwise unchanged-
will it (the machine overall) be as fast as it was when new - or can I
expect the CPU, the RAM etc to have degraded?

Cheers
Rob