Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware degradation

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware degradation
Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On windows, I really do think a reinstall is the only way - I don't
> know _why_ it has such an effect (lots of cruft in the registry?),
> there are various other thigns to try - clearly the preload cache and
> dllcache to force them to be rebuilt. OTOH I only have windows to
> play games so I don't actually care much about windows itself :-)

I remember a Russian freeware registry cleaner that I used on NT4 - the
results were pretty stunning the first time I used it, so I think there
might be some truth in what you say about cruft being left in the
registry. I would have hoped that MS would have learned and lessened the
cruft-effect as they went through Win2K and XP, but my 2 year-old XP
Professional install has just hit the wall and I am thinking of a
reinstall to sort it.

On a related note (games, XP) my Shuttle* officially became a doorstop
the other day when a friend bought me a copy of the latest Rainbow Six
game. It installed, but the minimum spec checking utility pulled me up
on the graphics card and the CPU! Time to drop out of the arms race
methinks... Maybe I'll just remove XP altogether and cure my registry
problems once and for all!

Moving way OT, I flogged the game on Amazon (with his blessing) and got
myself a copy of Ray Lamontagne's albums, 'Trouble' and 'Till The Sun
Turns Black', both of which are pretty stunning. Anyone going to see him
at Portsmouth Guildhall in February?

Sean

* Shuttle SN25P with:
AMD 4200+ x2