Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware degradation

Author: Dean Earley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware degradation
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>> On windows, I really do think a reinstall is the only way - I don't
>> know _why_ it has such an effect (lots of cruft in the registry?),
>> there are various other thigns to try - clearly the preload cache and
>> dllcache to force them to be rebuilt. OTOH I only have windows to
>> play games so I don't actually care much about windows itself :-)
>
> I remember a Russian freeware registry cleaner that I used on NT4 - the
> results were pretty stunning the first time I used it, so I think there
> might be some truth in what you say about cruft being left in the
> registry. I would have hoped that MS would have learned and lessened the
> cruft-effect as they went through Win2K and XP, but my 2 year-old XP
> Professional install has just hit the wall and I am thinking of a
> reinstall to sort it.

Sadly the cruft is stuff put there and not cleaned up by applications or
entries relating to files/apps that were manually deleted.

It's the equivalent of putting loads of crap in /etc/ never to use it
again (admittedly, filling /etc won't slow down access as much)

There is also an MS utility to remove all the unneeded stuff as well
defragment it (it has to be done offline on a reboot)

Another things I've seen which affects performance a HUGE amount is a
severely fragmented page file. (2K fragments iirc) There was plenty of
space left, but nowhere to actually defragment it to without removing a
load of data :)

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean@???)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/