Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch …

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch and Synaptic?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ac0100.hantslug.org.uk.14188': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 21 10:08:14 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 09:25 +0000, Jack Knight wrote:
> Jim Kissel wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Now I don't know much about building a distro, but I fail to understand
> > why nautilus/metecity/gnome/xorg needs to have a 'C' pre-processor
> > installed. Any offers?
>
> On the same line as your recent post, I don't get on with the Totem
> media player.

Personally I would recommend you use totem-xine rather than
totem-gstreamer, it seems to be able to play a lot more.

> It never plays anything I want to hear or view, despite
> installing various codecs. mplayer works flawlessly however, so why when
> I try to remove totem, totem-mozila plugin or totem-gstreamer does it
> tell me I need to remove the whole of "ubuntu-desktop".

Because ubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which pulls in all the standard
delivered ubuntu applications.

If for example you install an ubuntu server - a minimal install with no
GUI, and wanted to turn it into a desktop, you would just install
ubuntu-desktop which would in turn pull in everything else.

Yes, you can remove ubuntu-desktop, but the problem is if that package
has other things which it depends upon which later on down the line you
wont get because you dont have the meta package.

> This is on edgy BTW, don't know about dapper/feisty but suspect its the
> same.

It's the same for every release of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu with the
meta packages being ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop
respectively.

Cheers,
Al.