Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch …

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch and Synaptic?
Alan Pope wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 09:25 +0000, Jack Knight wrote:
>> Jim Kissel wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Now I don't know much about building a distro, but I fail to understand
>>> why nautilus/metecity/gnome/xorgwhich needs to have a 'C' pre-processor
>>> installed. Any offers?
>> On the same line as your recent post, I don't get on with the Totem
>> media player.
>
> Personally I would recommend you use totem-xine rather than
> totem-gstreamer, it seems to be able to play a lot more.

Thanks Al, but I'd rather just use mplayer for everything, because it
really *does* seem to play just about anything given the right codecs.
I've googled, hacked and fiddled, removed totem completely and firefox 2
*still* tries to open stuff with totem. I've removed caches, changed
mime types and finally symlinked /usr/bin/totem to /usr/bin/gmplayer,
which kind of works albeit ps ax shows totem running!

Any better ideas or pointers to search? Tried various threads on
ubuntuforums to name a few.

TiA

Jack