Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch …

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch and Synaptic?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57c21100.hantslug.org.uk.13385': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 21 14:02:59 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 13:15 +0000, Jack Knight wrote:
> Thanks Al, but I'd rather just use mplayer for everything, because it
> really *does* seem to play just about anything given the right codecs.
> I've googled, hacked and fiddled, removed totem completely and firefox 2
> *still* tries to open stuff with totem. I've removed caches, changed
> mime types and finally symlinked /usr/bin/totem to /usr/bin/gmplayer,
> which kind of works albeit ps ax shows totem running!

Ewwww. That's some considerable messing you've done there. You say you
had totem-mozilla installed, and if that is still the case then that
would explain firefox still trying to open totem.

You probably want to remove totem-mozilla and install mozilla-mplayer
instead to spark up mplayer inside the browser.

> Any better ideas or pointers to search? Tried various threads on
> ubuntuforums to name a few.

The Ubuntu Wiki :)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/StreamingVideo

Cheers,