Re: [Hampshire] Sending emails

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sending emails
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 10:37:14AM +0000, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> I did not know postfix could affect fetchmail. so when I removed
> postfix and installed sendmail fetchmail does not work

That's because fetchmail is overkill for most users. I have lost track
of the number of times, one of my friends or I lost mail to it and its
stupid error mechanisms.

Every time it failed it failed due to the MTA being setup wrongly which
is arguably not fetchmail's fault. However downloading mail and
forwarding it to an MTA (i.e. postfix/exim) is oftentimes entirely the
wrong approach for a single user of a pop/imap mailbox.

I switched to getmail4 and didn't have any such problems with it. It
will simply and easily dump mail straight into a mailbox or you can pump
them to an MDA like procmail if you so desire.

Please, please try to persuade any users of fetchmail to stop using it
so they don't fall into the traps that many previous users of fetchmail
before them have fallen into.

Simon.

--
 -+//             <gianny> ouah: on a droit à 3 ircop! :)             \\+-
-+<<   <blitz|taff> gianny: oui g compté les ircops pour m'endormir    >>+-