Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on …

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a Toshiba Laptop
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 11:44:49AM +0000, John Morton wrote:
> Ubuntu and Xubuntu worked fine for me on a Sony Vaio N505X
> with 128MB (max possible!)

Just a FYI:

I have an HP laptop which was given to me, it has 256MiB of RAM. I wanted to upgrade the memory and so checked crucial.com/uk and the
HP website. HP said that the PC could only take 256MiB maximum, but the crucial site said 512MiB was the max.

I took a punt and bought some, but the laptop only saw 256MiB.

However, I then found a bios update on the HP site, downloaded and installed it, and hey presto! 512MiB!

I am not suggesting yours will be the same - especially give the speed of it (mine is 1GHz) indicating the age, but it's worth
investigating further when confronted with a spec that says "nnn MiB" maximum.

Cheers,
Al.