Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on …

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a Toshiba Laptop
>> RAM: 128MB
>>
>> Obunbtu starts to load and then just chunters away for ages

Trying to install an OS like that in just 128MB is asking for trouble -
you'll spend the entire time swapping to disk.

Something like Xubuntu would probably do a better job if it's an Ubuntu
base you want. Otherwise, I've found Vector to be really good on
low-memory systems.

Otherwise, you're looking at piecing something together yourself - not for
the faint-hearted! I have a P2/266 machine running[1] WBEL3 in 32MB. It's
just not worth it.

Vic.

[1] Badly...