Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on …

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a Toshiba Laptop
Gavin wrote:

> Hi
> I have an old Toshiba portege 7020 CT Laptop plus base station
> containing CD rom drive. It currently runs Windows XP Professional.
>
> **
>
> *Processor Type: Pentium II*
> *Processor Speed: 366MHz*
> *RAM: 128MB*
> *RAM Technology: SDRAM*
> *Hard Drive Capacity: 6.4 GB*
> *Max. RAM: 192MB*
> *CD: on external docking station*
> *Installed Video Memory: 2MB*
> *Display Size: 13.3in*
> *Display Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)*
> *Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0*
> *Cache Size: 256kb*
> *Display Resolution: 1024 x 768 (XGA)*
>
> I would like to clear all the old stuff off of it and and install
> Linux instead. I am a complete Linux virgin and not a techie!
> I have tried running Live CD's of Both Obuntu and Mandriva without
> success? Not sure if I have a problem with the CD's or with the PC
> (see specs attached)
>
> Obunbtu starts to load and then just chunters away for ages without
> anything further happening.
> With Mandriva I get some error messages.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas as to whether what I want to do is possible and
> what I can do to get it running?

I run several Kubuntu machines similar to this, one is a PII. However,
for a *liveCD* which runs in memory, the 128 mb ram is going to take
forever, which is what you are finding. Although it will probably
actually eventually work - if your elderly slow CD drive is still
good. I had to rem=palce th e4x CDs with faster ones which had
presumably better more accurate resolution.

I take it that the external CD is effective - you are obviously
booting from it.
Your max amount of RAM seems to be 192 mb correct? I use 384mb in my
slow machines, but 192mb will get you started.

Note that once you have *installed* (ubuntu) then RAM is not so
critical. It is for the libe CD. Ubuntu is a mainstream choice, and
contains openoffice etc. This will work, but will be slow. There are
other easily available, lighter apps.

DSL and other low memory distros will be much faster, but use (for a
newcomer) non standard approaches to things - windows managers for
ecxample, and will be hard work for you to begin with. Dsl also does
not have an easy installer IIRC.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391