Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on …

Author: Will Davies
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a Toshiba Laptop

> You may have more luck with a light weight distro such as Puppy,
> mainly due to only having 128MB RAM. Ubuntu requires 256MB for the
> live CD and I can't imagine Mandriva's requirements being any lower.

I run puppy quite happily on a celeron 400 with 128MB RAM. On the same
machine I tried the Ubuntu server iso and then manually installed IceWM
window manager plus just the applications that I wanted, that was OK as
well.
There is an excellent step by step guide to installing puppy alongside
XP at [1] that involves no partitioning and leaves you with a dual boot
setup. Topping up your RAM to 192MB would allow the entire puppy OS to
load into RAM.

[1] http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/step00-linnwin.htm

Will Davies
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~wmd04r