[Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a To…

Author: Gavin
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a Toshiba Laptop

Hi
I have an old Toshiba portege 7020 CT Laptop plus base station containing
CD rom drive. It currently runs Windows XP Professional.

Processor Type: Pentium II

Processor Speed: 366MHz

RAM: 128MB

RAM Technology: SDRAM

Hard Drive Capacity: 6.4 GB

Max. RAM: 192MB

CD: on external docking station

Installed Video Memory: 2MB

Display Size: 13.3in

Display Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0

Cache Size: 256kb

Display Resolution: 1024 x 768 (XGA)

I would like to clear all the old stuff off of it and and install Linux
instead. I am a complete Linux virgin and not a techie!
I have tried running Live CD's of Both Obuntu and Mandriva without success?
Not sure if I have a problem with the CD's or with the PC (see specs
attached)

Obunbtu starts to load and then just chunters away for ages without anything
further happening.
With Mandriva I get some error messages.

Any suggestions or ideas as to whether what I want to do is possible and
what I can do to get it running?

Gavin Meikle