Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on …

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a Toshiba Laptop
Gavin wrote:

> Hi
> I have an old Toshiba portege 7020 CT Laptop plus base station
> containing CD rom drive. It currently runs Windows XP Professional.
>
> **
>
> *Processor Type: Pentium II*
>
> *Processor Speed: 366MHz*
>
> *RAM: 128MB*
>
> *RAM Technology: SDRAM*
>
> *Hard Drive Capacity: 6.4 GB*
>
> *Max. RAM: 192MB*
>
> *CD: on external docking station*
>
> *Installed Video Memory: 2MB*
>
> *Display Size: 13.3in*
>
> *Display Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)*
>
> *Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0*
>
> *Cache Size: 256kb*
>
> *Display Resolution: 1024 x 768 (XGA)*
>

> I would like to clear all the old stuff off of it and and install
> Linux instead. I am a complete Linux virgin and not a techie!
> I have tried running Live CD's of Both Obuntu and Mandriva without
> success? Not sure if I have a problem with the CD's or with the PC
> (see specs attached)
>
> Obunbtu starts to load and then just chunters away for ages without
> anything further happening.
> With Mandriva I get some error messages.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas as to whether what I want to do is possible and
> what I can do to get it running?
>
> Gavin Meikle

You may have more luck with a light weight distro such as Puppy, mainly
due to only having 128MB RAM. Ubuntu requires 256MB for the live CD and
I can't imagine Mandriva's requirements being any lower.

Another option is Knoppix, which should switch to using fluxbox (I
think, or something similar anyway) when it detects you don't have a lot
of RAM.

Xubuntu may work, a version of Ubuntu using Xfce as the Window manager
to cut down on system requirements.

James