Re: [Hampshire] Firewire external HDD

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firewire external HDD
Andy Random wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Chris Aitken wrote:
>

>>I picked up a 500GB Western Digital MyBook Premium (USB2 & FW)
>>external hard disk for $219.99, which worked out to be £114.18. The
>>instore price was even cheaper than their web price (which I guess
>>includes delivery).
>

> While I hope you will be very happy together, that was kinda my point
> earlier in this thread. I can find a similar spec unit (though admittedly
> not the same brand name) for around 130 UKP, and personally for the sake
> of 15 quid I'd rather buy in this country.

Not exactly the same but

Maplin have a 400GB external for ~90UKP.
The 500GB model is still ~170 which is IMHO normal insane "high street"
pricing. IMHO maplin are never cheap.

Lidl was selling a 320gb usb drive with SMB/Ftp access via rj45 net
connection for a similar price. Aldi periodically do a 250GB drive
for ~70.

And this is "brick and mortar". Net *should* be cheaper.

Jacqui