Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on …

Top Page
Author: Rob Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Beginner needs help installing Linux on a Toshiba Laptop

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x586e0100.hantslug.org.uk.12216': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 26 15:25:17 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 4CADEAF1890E8608
On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 14:03 +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> > Trying to install an OS like that in just 128MB is asking for trouble -
> > you'll spend the entire time swapping to disk.
>
> Yup, the minimum specifications on the Live CDs say that 128MB is not enough
> to run the Live CD. You should be able to install from the "alternate" CD,
> which is a text based installer, rather than a Live CD.
>
> As Vic says, running GNOME in 128MB of RAM might be a bit of a struggle too,
> but not as bad as from a CD though. Vic's suggestion of Xubuntu is a good one
> for a machine of that age.
>
> Remember you can always bring along your system to a LUG meeting and get help
> installing if you need it.

I have FC6 running on a PII 266 laptop with 96MiB RAM.

However I'm running IceWM rather than gnome. Runs perfectly considering
the age of the hardware.

As Tony said, feel free to bring it to a b-a-b meeting if you want help
getting yours up and running.

Rob