Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Innovation

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Innovation
Some confirmation:

I have a "Microsoft" C compiler from 1983. In the accompanying
documentation I read:

"Lattice, a Chicago-based developer of portable software products,
originally developed the C compiler for its own use on a minicomputer.
When Lifeboat Associates offered to finance the development of an 8086
version in exchange for marketing rights, the compiler was converted
to produce 8086 code and run under Microsoft's MS-DOS operating
system. The high quality of the generated code and the fact that the
compiler was designed to work with Microsoft's LINK program made the
Lattice complier an ideal choice for Microsoft's own product line."

Copyright is:
Lattice, inc./ Lifeboat Associates 1982
Microsoft Corporation 1983

CAS