Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Innovation

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Innovation
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 08:36:14PM +0000, Dean Earley wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
> >This popped up on another LUG list, and I found it amusing.
> >
> >http://www.mcmillan.cx/innovation.html
> >
> >"A few years ago, a friend sent me an email that attacked Microsoft's
> >oft-repeated innovation claim. The email listed a number of Microsoft
> >products and where they are supposed to originate. Although I knew some
> >of the history of products like Windows or DOS, I was surprised at the
> >number of products the email suggested originated elsewhere. The idea
> >stuck in my mind, but since the email didn't give any evidence I didn't
> >know whether to trust it. So I started noting down sources that backed
> >up the claims in the email. Here they are..."
>
> AutoRoute was purchased ~6-7 years ago as well.
>
> To be honest, they aren't the only ones bar far. Google earth was not
> written by Google (It used to be keyhole) among other things.

Sure, other companies buy in products and re-badge them, for example SAP bought in Enterprise Portal,
SAP Business One, Business Connector etc, all products that they have re-branded. Lotus bought in
Organiser and Notes (IIRC). Not sure what Oracle as bought in, but I guess there must be something.

However the key thing with Microsoft is that they *claim* to innovate. Check most of the keynotes Gates
has given over the last few years and "innovate" is a key theme. It doesn't necessarily require great
innovators to repeatedly buy up tech companies, but good business acument and deep pockets.

Along with that aquisition comes the competition-crushing power of the monoploy. Over the years
Microsoft has bought up products and companies and used the massive install-base to foist those
products on users to the detriment of their competitors.

So it's not just that they dont exactly innovate on their biggest brand products, but they use those
products they didn't create to wipe out the opposition. Neither are particularly attractive traits in a
company in my opinion.

Cheers,
Al.