Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Which is best

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Which is best

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x571e5100.hantslug.org.uk.16096': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 29 20:25:07 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 08:10:02PM +0000, Tim wrote:

> Can somebody confirm my list of laptop processors in order least best >
> better (I am assuming the same processor speed) or point me to a web site
> that I can read the information please
>
> Celeron M
> Sempron
> Pentium M
> Turion
> Intel Core 2 Duo

Be careful about the difference between the original Turions, and
the Turion X2. The X2s are, from memory, somewhere around the same
power consumption as the Core 2 Duos. You've also missed the Core Duos
(somewhere between the Turion and the Core 2 Duo).

You also don't give your criteria for "good" -- computer power,
power drain, MIPS per watt, functionality...

Finally, there are some other issues if you're going to be running
Linux -- for example, the Intel-based machines from Pentium M onwards
will have Centrino chipsets, and thus will have an Intel wireless
network device, which all work perfectly under Linux (IME). AMD-based
machines won't have the Intel wireless, and so you're left in the
random-wireless-chipset lottery for Linux drivers. Also, how do you
rate:

64-bitness? (Turion, Turion X2 and Core 2 Duo only)
Dual cores? (Turion X2 and Core [2] Duo)
Hardware virtualisation? (Turion X2 and Core [2] Duo)

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- To an Englishman, 100 miles is a long way;  to an American, ---
                        100 years is a long time.