Re: [Hampshire] Printers

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Printers
Samuel Penn wrote:
> Lasers seem to be quicker, and do duplex. A3 lasers are totally
> outside my price range. My experience with lasers is that they
> jam a lot if you pass paper through a second time, so really need
> to be duplex, but I'd have to drop the A3.

I do a bit of a3 photo printing for our local dog club and use a printer
in horsham. They charge 1.70ish for an A3 colour laser print and (touch
wood) the prints have come out pretty close to original image.

There is no way I could afford to buy and print low volumes of images
for the same price and as I am losing money on this because I cannot
charge for the images (funds go into the dog club charity "box") I am
looking to keep my outlay as small as possible without losing
visible image quality.

For A4, my canon pixma (ip1500) is VERY cheap to run - aldi ink carts at
1.79 each (6 b/w and 8UKP clr is the cheapest I have found elsewhere)
The aldi carts do not print text too well (black is too heavy) but
images on glossy paper come out clean.

Someone at work bought the latest canon pixma (a4) jobbie but thier ink
carts are far more complex to refill and the ink warnings are disabled
if you do refill. With the iP1500 I can refill the carts *in* the printer!

Jacqui

p.s. I hope I do not need to say (rule of thumb)

  1) avoid lexmark - carts are almost all thermal and melt after one refill.
  2) avoid HP - carts are chipped and timestamped - they may have a "use
     by" date which is enforced by the printer! And there are lost of
     out of date carts for sale on the net and in shops!