Re: [Hampshire] Printers

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Printers
On Monday 05 February 2007 09:58, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > Lasers seem to be quicker, and do duplex. A3 lasers are totally
> > outside my price range. My experience with lasers is that they
> > jam a lot if you pass paper through a second time, so really need
> > to be duplex, but I'd have to drop the A3.
>
> I do a bit of a3 photo printing for our local dog club and use a printer
> in horsham. They charge 1.70ish for an A3 colour laser print and (touch
> wood) the prints have come out pretty close to original image.

I tend to need something printed 'right now', so relying on someone
else to do it wouldn't be practical. It's now much easier just to
display things on a laptop than it was 10 years ago, so my need for
A3 printing has reduced, though it would still be useful.

> For A4, my canon pixma (ip1500) is VERY cheap to run - aldi ink carts at
> 1.79 each (6 b/w and 8UKP clr is the cheapest I have found elsewhere)
> The aldi carts do not print text too well (black is too heavy) but
> images on glossy paper come out clean.
>
> Someone at work bought the latest canon pixma (a4) jobbie but thier ink
> carts are far more complex to refill and the ink warnings are disabled
> if you do refill. With the iP1500 I can refill the carts *in* the printer!

Last time I tried refills, the print quality was really poor so I've
never tried again. May have been down to bad luck, so for now I'm going
to base things on the price of the new cartridges.

Thanks for the info.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???