Re: [Hampshire] Which company provides the best graphicsdriv…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which company provides the best graphicsdriversupport?
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Alasdair Ross wrote:
>
>> This moves me on to another question: How well supported are
>> integrated graphics chips?
>> I'm afraid I know very little about integrated graphics. Am I right
>> in thinking that Intel graphics chips would be relatively well supported?
>> My aim is to run Kubuntu with Beryl and, whilst I will be looking
>> for a laptop with dedicated graphics, the majority seem to use
>> integrated chips.
>>

> It comes down to price - low-end lappies tend to go with integrated
> solutions that borrow variable amounts of RAM from the system, high-end
> models tend to offer up branded cards with dedicated memory. If you are
> going for eye candy and/or want to play 'proper' games I would go for
> the latter, or be prepared for at least some degree of disappointment.
>
> IME.

As the message was queued waiting to go it occurred to me that I hadn't
answered the question very well.

To expand on the above, I have never had a laptop that resolutely
wouldn't work with regard to support for an integrated solution. That
said, I believe that beryl/compiz need hardware acceleration that is
unlikely to be all that good, if indeed it is present at all, with the
integrated chipsets. I tried to get beryl working on my work Dell D600
which packs an ATI something-or-other with a lowly 8Mb of memory, and it
would just about run with some features disabled.

This is a good place to size up prospective purchases for compatibility
and ease of installation:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Googling for '<laptop> + <distro>' might offer up some insight too.

Think about a good-quality second-hand machine - I sold my Dell i8600
for the price of a new cheap machine at the time - £450 IIRC - and that
had an nVidia card with 128Mb RAM. However, proceed with caution and
don't buy a pig in a poke!

Sean